Tuesday, September 21, 2010

They Say It's Your Birday


On September 16, 2010, Chelsea Laughlin turned 18 years-old; she’s now an adult. She’s able to vote, move out on her own, own property and move out on her own. How will she celebrate her transition to the big One-Eight? By seeing her favorite band of course!
“It doesn’t feel much different than being 17.” She says when I ask her how being an adult feels. “Not yet at least.” As to how she’d spend this big day, her gracious parents got her tickets to see her favorite band, Coheed and Cambria.
Although she had seen them when they came to Minnesota in the spring, Chelsea’s still very excited, because apparently every concert they play different songs. Also, this time her best friend, Tony and sister, Emily get to tag along.
“I was in ninth grade when I first got into them.” She informs me. “Whet first drew me to them was the lead singer’s (Claudio Sanchez) unique voice. It’s high and weird and not like most bands’ singer’s voices that I’ve heard.”
Coheed and Cambria are also found unique by Chelsea and others because all of their albums and songs are based off of the comic series that they have written for the past 10 or more years that they have been a band. A story about a family being torn apart by destiny. The parents, Coheed and Cambria are told by the government that they must kill their kids to prevent the apocalypse. Not just a comic series, the book called The Year of the Black Rainbow, also the name of their latest album, came out in the spring of 2010 as a prequel to the comics. Even though the comic series entitled The Amory Wars is over, Chelsea thinks they’re still going to make more music. “It doesn’t make sense for them to stop.” She says.
“I’m grateful to my parents for giving me this as a gift, because I like Coheed.” Chelsea continues and then laughs. “I know they could’ve done a lot of other things and they could’ve done nothing because I’m an adult now. So I’m very grateful for this gift.”
Though she doesn’t have a favorite Coheed song, she was able to give us her top five. “’Neverender’, ‘In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth Three’, ‘Ten Speed of God’s and Burial’, and ‘Here We Are Juggernaut’. One of those is from each album. It’s better that way.”
Chelsea’s trying not to look forward to the concert until the week of. “Otherwise it seems like a longer time to wait.” She says and laughs some more. “But yes, I’m very excited.”
It’s been said that “another year older and a-deeper in debt” and I don’t know if that’s completely true of not but there’s definitely more partying! So here’s to you Mrs. Laughlin and your eighteenth birthday celebration!

No comments:

Post a Comment