Thursday, December 9, 2010

fun. Aim and Ignite


When most people hear the word fun, they usually think of a time when something exciting or humorous had happened, but when the word fun is mentioned in the music world it’s the band that comes to mind. Fun (often written as fun.) is making history with their original take on indie pop/rock music. They released a full length album on August 25, 2009 titled Aim and Ignite. Nate Ruess, lead vocals, was part of a band The Format but the band unfortunately split in February of 2008 and he immediately started a new project with Andrew Dost, former member of Anathallo, and Jack Antonoff, front man and former member of Steel Train.
Fun does not have a pop/rock mainstream sound and they embrace it in their album with singles like “At least I’m not as sad (As I used to be), “All the pretty girls” and “Walking the dog.” They add a theatrical feel to the album filling the sound with strings and horns. Each song comes with a different meaning; it may be a message, love or just a simple thought. The C.D opens with “Be Calm” which has gospel sense to it and a message of ‘do as I say, not as I do.’ Throughout the album it stays true to an indie pop sound but gives you something unique. When I first listened to Aim and Ignite I was a bit skeptical and was not interested in what this band had to say. I continued to listen and I fell in love with what they have created in a short amount of time. This album is without doubt one of a kind and fun., has a lot to live up to on their next album. z

1 comment: