Sunday, January 9, 2011

Hot Lunch v. Boxed Lunch


Every day, all across the cafeteria, there is a quiet question echoing in minds and stomachs: What should I have for lunch? While the lunchroom offers us a plethora of choices, from soup and salad to pizza to fries and hot pretzels, there are students who opt out and bring a lunch from home.

But this leaves a question in several mouths: What makes a student choose between hot lunch and cold lunch? I talked with a couple people to find out.

Meet Arielle Napoli, a senior. While there are some students who don't mind where they get their food, Arielle is a "frozencore" cold lunch carrier. When I asked her why she totes her darling Hello Kitty lunchbox to the cafeteria every day, she said bluntly, "Because the food here is disgusting."

Upon discussing things with Arielle further, she explained why she felt this way. She likes knowing where her food comes from, and though the kitchens at North are very much visible behind the stainless steel buffets, it's difficult to know what the ingredients are. Plus she seems quite fond of her PB&J's, another plus to bringing her own lunch - she can have what she wants and prepare it how she wants it.

Getting a feel for where one student stands on the lunch issue, I decided to talk to someone that only eats hot lunch. Another senior, who has chosen to remain anonymous, sat with me and we talked about why she chooses to pay the school to give her sustenance. She told me that she likes the food here at North.

"It's actually pretty good, especially since they've added the sub sandwich days." Ever since she was young, she has also had a thing for school mashed potatoes. "They're really good with butter," she said, smiling. In addition, she mentioned that the best part about having hot lunch is not having to carry around a lunch box all day, which she finds annoying. "I had to do it when I was a kid and I always forgot my lunchbox at school. I'm glad that's over."

The Great Lunch Debate will always be a difficult one, but it's nice to have options. As for me, when I don't like what's on the menu at school, my Scooby Doo lunchbox will always be there for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment